A Different Kind of Tab

I’m sure you’re all very accustomed to the usual left, center, right and decimal tab stops. In fact, you’ve probably been using them for years, right?

When flipping through your tab choices, did you ever notice this little guy?

Well, I did and I started to wonder what it was all about.

So, of course, it was time for some research.

It turns out it’s called the bar tab.

Its function, you ask?

Good question and believe it or not, but it does exactly as the picture indicates. The bar tab puts a vertical line on the location where the tab stop is set.

So, if you have a bar tab set at two inches on the ruler, you’ll get a vertical line at the two inch location for every line that has the tab set. Text does not affect the vertical line at all. It will go right through it. In fact, you don’t even have to use the Tab key to get the effect. The simple act of setting the bar tab stop on the ruler will create the line, with no extra work required.

Now, you all know you can change tab stops from line to line in MS Word, so this one has potential. You can set the bar tab stop for particular lines in your document that need the vertical line and then remove it (or relocate it) when it’s no longer necessary in that location.

The applications for this one are endless. Now that you know what it is, it’s up to you to decide how to use it!

~ April