Do you know someone who’s celebrating their birthday soon? Or having a wedding anniversary? Whatever the occasion, you can surprise them with a personalized, professional greeting card. While most store-bought cards are nicely designed, they lack personalization. Customizing a card with someone’s name/age can really add a beautiful touch to a greeting card.
This method uses Canva, a web-based software which makes designing cards straightforward and even fun.
1. Firstly, open a browser from your Desktop or Start Bar.
2. Type www.canva.com into your address bar. If you don’t have a Canva account, you can read our article on making photo collages, which shows how to create your account. If you have an account, click on “Log-in” and type your email and password into the fields.
3. You will be brought to the Your Designs page, which contains your past designs if you’ve made any. Click on the “More” square which is in the top right-hand corner of the page. A list of designs will appear. Click on “Card” which is under the heading “Events” – which is near the end of the page.
4. A blank template will open, in a new tab. You’ll see a variety of layouts on the left-hand side of the page. Have a scroll through the list of layouts, and take a look at all of them. There are layouts for birthdays, Valentine’s Day, wedding anniversaries, “thank you teacher”, new year, Christmas and more! Click on the layout which you like the most. There are some paid layouts, but there’s a large selection of free ones to choose from.
5. The layout will fill the blank template. You can now get to work on adding names, changing colors and adding information!
If you want to change the text itself, just click on it. Place the cursor at the end of the text and hold the backspace key, to get rid of the text. You can now type your own text into the field. It could be someone’s name or a birthday greeting, or just a special message.
6. Click on the text that you want to change. A little menu bar will crop up. To change the color, click on the small circle. A variety of colors will crop up. Select the color which you like the most. If you don’t like the colors, simply click on the plus sign (shaped like +) and you can toggle the color wheel for other, new colors.
7. If you want to change the text size, simply click the text shape that you want to change. Then, click on the number in the small menu which pops up (as shown in the diagram below). Scroll the numbers and click on the size you want.
8. The card that I’ve created, is only one of hundreds. You can create a variety of greeting cards. For example, if you want to thank someone for a gift they gave or just for something simple, this card would do the trick!
Or if you know someone who is moving away, this card would be pretty hilarious!
If you’re celebrating thanksgiving, rustic autumn leaves would definitely look pretty.
Since it’s vacation season, you might want to give someone well wishes before they go on a trip.
9. When you are satisfied with your card, you need to download it onto your computer. There are two forms you can download it in: as a PDF or as a PNG/JPG. If you want to print out your card, you should get a PDF. This ensures that every pixel is of a high quality and that every detail will be pristine, once printed. If you just want to send your card over email or Facebook, you don’t need a PDF, you should get a PNG or JPG instead. They are still of a very high quality, they just are easier to send over the internet and have a smaller file size than other file types.
To download, simply click “Download” and then, click on the file type you want.
Have fun experimenting!