Bad news for iPhone users. Seventeen apps featured in the Apple App Store were found to be infected with Malware.
The security experts at Wandera discovered that the apps in question were infected with a Trojan malware called Clicker. Clicker malware is designed to continually keep clicking on websites in the background in order to generate false responses to advertising.
Online advertising is often sold on a pay-per-click basis. By bumping up the number of clicks, an ad-management company could fraudulently charge customers by making it look as if their ads were quite popular.
The infected apps include everything from a BMI calculator to a video editor to a yoga app.
Here’s a list of the infected apps:
- Around Me Place Finder
- BMI Calculator – BMR Calc
- CrickOne – Live Cricket Scores
- Daily Fitness – Yoga Poses
- Dual Accounts
- Easy Contacts Backup Manager
- EMI Calculator & Loan Planner
- File Manager – Documents
- FM Radio – Internet Radio
- Islamic World – Qibla
- My Train Info – IRCTC & PNR
- Ramadan Times 2019
- Restaurant Finder – Find Food
- RTO Vehicle Information
- Smart GPS Speedometer
- Smart Video Compressor
- Video Editor – Mute Video
Apple says they have removed these apps from the app store. If you have any of these apps on your iPhone, remove them ASAP.