Pull the Arrows Out of Your Shortcuts
Many of you keep asking me how to remove those little arrows you see on your desktop shortcuts. They sure can take away from the visual aesthetics of the icons.
OK, there are actually two easy ways to get rid of the little arrows that attach themselves to shortcuts. The easiest of the two is to select a size of 30 for your desktop icons (I’ve heard this doesn’t work on 2nd edition Win98 machines and if you have XP, skip to the next method). Here’s how:
1. Right-click the desktop and select Properties.
2. Select the Appearance tab
3. From the drop down box labeled “Item” select “Icon”
4. Change the size from 32 to 30 The little arrows are gone!
OK, here’s the second way (and probably the better way)—If you have ” Tweak UI ” software installed, you can remove the arrows from there.
To download Tweak UI for Windows 95, 98, ME, NT & 2000 click HERE
Windows XP users can download Tweak UI and other MS Powertoys HERE
Here’s what you do:
1. Click Start , Settings , Control Panel , and open the Tweak UI icon
2. Click the Explorer tab
3. The first section is for shortcut overlay. Select the “none” radio button and click “OK”
That’s it! No more arrows.