You can create a free website in just 10 minutes with Wix. Even if you have no coding skills and little or no web design experience, this easy tutorial will show you how.
Wix is a free website builder with tons of features and a really easy to use intuitive drag & drop platform. You don’t need to have any HTML or CSS knowledge in order to create a beautiful website in just minutes! Just choose a design, begin customizing and be online right away!
In this article, I will take you through the whole process of creating a free website with Wix, from signing in to customizing and publishing your website.
1. Visit the Wix website.
2. Sign in. Fill in your details or just sign in using your Facebook or Google account.
2. You will then be redirected to a page where you’ll have to choose your website’s category. There are many categories you can choose from, like Music, Entertainment, Hotel & Travel, Restaurant, One-Page, Arts, Business, Photography, Retail and even Online Shops! After you choose the Main category from the left side, the subcategories will appear on the right side. Select the subcategory for your website. For this test website example, I chose the Personal Blog category.
3. Next, you are taken to a page where you can select which template you want to use for your free Wix website. Select your favorite Wix template from this list. There are many Wix templates you can choose from, each one having its special characteristics. I chose a feminine, minimalist and clean personal blog template. You can click on either View and see how the template looks like, or click Edit and start customizing your website.
4. After you chose your favorite Wix template, click on edit. You will be redirected to the editing page. There you’ll see a popup video with brief how-to instructions. You should watch this quick video. It will help you better understand how to customize your Wix website.
Customize your Wix website
1. You’re now in the Editing Mode. Click on Design and start customizing your website. With just a few clicks you can choose new backgrounds, colors and fonts for your website.
2. See below the Before & After images. This was created in less than 10 seconds! The customizing possibilities are endless. You can play with colors, fonts, textures, patterns, styles and everything else and make the website perfect for your needs.
3. You can also easily edit text and other elements on your template. Just click on them, move them by dragging them on the screen, or edit them and modify their properties. Editing elements is very intuitive and user-friendly.
4. If you want to add other page elements, just click on the Add icon in the left sidebar. Select which element you’d like to add to your website. You can add images, text, galleries, media, shapes, lines, and more!
5. Besides adding new elements, you can also add new pages! Add as many pages as you want. Drag and drop them in the right order you want them to appear.
6. Also, if you want to add newsletter forms, social share, calendars for events and other great features, the Wix App Market will help you do just that! Browse the App Market and select the app you’d like to add on your website. Click on Add to Site and that’s it! You can then customize the chosen app.
7. Before publishing your website, you should also take a look at its settings. Click on the Settings icon in the left sidebar and add all the necessary info in those fields. You can add your website address, SEO optimize your website, see statistics and more!
Publish your website
1. After you have designed your website, you can preview it by clicking on the Preview button located at the upper-right corner of your screen. If everything looks ok, go to the next step.
2. Publish your website. Click on the Publish button located near the Preview button. You will be asked to write your website name. Click on the Save Now button and you’re done!
3. That’s it! Your free Wix website is now online. If you want to upgrade to a paid plan which offers many more useful features, you can by selecting Upgrade. See the plans below or on the Wix website.
~ Ruxandra Micu