Sexual predators are taking advantage of the millions of kids going to school online. These creeps are specifically targeting homeschooling children.
Recently, Officers in Fairfax County, Virginia arrested 30 men in that county who attempted to solicit children online. They called their sting ‘Operation COVID Crackdown.’
- Parents and guardians need to be alert. Here’s a quick list of steps you can take to protect your children.
- Monitor their online activity. Always. Even if you believe they are doing schoolwork
- Don’t allow young children to use social media. Thirteen in the minimum age for most sites. That still may be too young for some kids.
- Take the time to learn about the social media apps they use. Get accounts. Make them add you as friends or contacts
- Check to make sure their online friends are who they say they are.
- Check their privacy settings.
- Beware of messaging apps. Many games and sites may have hidden messaging capabilities you weren’t aware of.