We’ve got an important update for Nintendo Switch users looking avoid issues in their family accounts before the Nintendo Switch Online service launches on Tuesday, September 18, 2018.
Nintendo Switch users will be getting a special system update, also releasing on Tuesday, September 18, which will not allow users to unlink your Nintendo Account from your Nintendo Switch user profile. Verify that your Nintendo Account or your child’s Nintendo Account is linked to the correct user profile. For example, the parent’s or legal guardian’s Nintendo Switch user profile is linked to the parent’s or guardian’s Nintendo Account, and that the child’s Nintendo Switch user profile is linked to his or her child account.
Nintendo released this special notice below:
After installing the system update planned for September 18th, 2018 (Tuesday) at 5pm Pacific Time, it will no longer be possible to unlink your Nintendo Account from your Nintendo Switch user.
Prior to this change, it is important to confirm that your Nintendo Account or your child’s Nintendo Account is linked to the correct user.
- To learn more about Nintendo Account for your child, please click here.
By ensuring that your Nintendo Account is linked to the correct user, you will be able to appropriately manage your save data, Nintendo Switch Online membership, and Nintendo eShop content.
How to Check
- You can review under each user’s My Page > User Settings > Link Nintendo Account. Part of the Nintendo Account holder’s email and nickname will display.
- If you are not sure if the user is linked to the correct Nintendo Account, check the following:
- On the Nintendo Account website, sign in and select the Shop menu option on the left. Compare your current balance and total My Nintendo Gold Points with those on the Nintendo eShop on your Nintendo Switch system
- If you are still not sure, compare the digital software on your Nintendo Switch with your Purchase History on the Shop menu or check to see if you have received purchase confirmation emails.
Unlinking your Nintendo Account
You will be able to unlink prior to September 18th, 2018 (Tuesday) at 5pm Pacific Time. For instructions, click here.
Now for the fun stuff! Nintendo Switch Online users can get a free 7-day trial to this service then the plans are:
- $3.99 for a month
- $7.99 for three months
- $19.99 for a year
- and …here’s where that child Nintendo Account comes in…family plans for $34.99 a year (must be at least two accounts)
Nintendo Switch Online users will get a robust NES library on launch including:
- Balloon Fight™
- Donkey Kong™
- Double Dragon (so many great memories playing this one as we constantly rented a NES from our local media rental store)
- Dr. Mario™
- Ghosts’n Goblins™
- Ice Climber™
- Ice Hockey
- The Legend of Zelda™
- Mario Bros.™
- Pro Wrestling
- River City Ransom
- Super Mario Bros.™
- Super Mario Bros.™ 3
- Tecmo Bowl
Players will also be able to get a cloud backup of your save data as well as voice chat in games like Arms, Mario Kart 8, Mario Tennis Aces, and Splatoon 2 plus some NES titles. You can even access features through the smartphone app and receive special offers.
Enjoy your special Switch to online gaming Nintendo fans!